Tuesday 22 November 2011

Bombay Bicycle Club's 'I had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose'



Slightly abashed, I thought I would buy this album only today as I hadn't already (despite a highly commendable source in the form of my old house mate at Uni recommending me to get on board). Perhaps It's a crime. Perhaps its a sign that I should really get a job as I have nothing better to do but review albums that are 2 years old...

Either way, I feel it's well worth my attention and at least a cheeky little review:

It's always hard listening to earlier records of bands when you already have an awareness of their current stuff. In some ways, it's like glancing back at your own photo albums of when you're little and it's all slightly unwordly (or in this case, very raw and down to earth) on one level and in others, its funny and not as serious as say, your aesthetic-beauty shots when you're older.

The debut album contains an upbeat, young naivety in the music. For a first release, it's very patient. There's no intention on creating anything that's too technically advanced or hot headed. Not that I'm dissin' the production or anything-all of the recording and sound quality side to the album is perfect for the sound that the band needs; a crisp, and modest sound. The song writing is what is simplistic and well polished. It's not overly decadent. I can imagine that this album material would be good as a live set at a festival, I can imagine that the band often develop their musical ideas and riffs over long-interludes and that perhaps this is how the band thrives. As more of a festival band? But I say this all speculatively as I've never actually seen them live. The harmonies, build of guitar parts and vocals are fresh and catchy which works.

The catchy and riff filled single 'Always Like This' is effective as a middle album track. 'Dust on The Ground' is a passionate fueled, bass heavy track that has beautiful, sulky vocals which squeezes your heart. 'The Giantess' and 'Towers' offers a promising cool down for the end of the album and allows to see a more organic side to the band.

Bombay Bicycle Club offer competition for the Maccabees, Mystery Jets (where HAVE they gone? I last saw em Halloween 2009 and haven't heard from 'em since) and Two Door Cinema Club. What sets them apart is perhaps their honesty, modesty and potential to grow and develop (which they evidently have with current singles such as 'Shuffle') but lets save that for another day and another review.

No comments:

Post a Comment